Brochure: PowerFLARM Fusion Brochure - English
The PowerFLARM Fusion will replace the PowerFLARM Core. It is the same size as the PowerFLARM Core but offers many additional features:
- Next Generation PowerFLARM technology
- A single version of the PowerFLARM Fusion works worldwide. PowerFLARM Core units were available in 2 different versions with different connectors - leading to antenna cable issues and issues for owners at world soaring contests.
- Ability to transmit and receive on both the FLARM A and FLARM B ports. U.S. versions of the PowerFLARM Core could transmit and receive on the FLARM A port, but only receive (not transmit) on the FLARM B port.
- ADS-R Enabled - Activate the reception of ADS-R and TIS-B rebroadcast traffic services in the USA on the ADS-B 1090 frequency. If you are near a radar ground station and have ADS-B OUT, nearby ADS-B UAT and TIS-B (transponder only) traffic will be re-broadcast to you and received and displayed on a connected FLARM display. This is a $190 option for the PowerFLARM Core.
- RFB Enabled - Enabling the FLARM B port is included as standard with the PowerFLARM Fusion. A 2nd FLARM antenna is also included. The RFB Enable was a $155 option for the PowerFLARM Core, plus $30 for the 2nd antenna.
- ENL Enabled - Engine Noise Level recording (required for motorgliders) is included as standard with the PowerFLARM Fusion. It was a $170 option for the PowerFLARM Core.
- IGC Enabled - IGC approved flight recording is included as standard with the PowerFLARM Fusion. It as included with the most recent versions of the PowerFLARM Core, but it was a $95 option for some years of PowerFLARM Core series production.
- GDL 90 Data Enabled - For sending limited traffic information to external displays that require GDL 90 Data protocols - such as ForeFlight, SkyDemon, EasyVFR, etc..
- Bluetooth Radio - For connection to some phones (not Apple compatible) and soaring products
- Wi-Fi Radio - For connection to some phones and soaring products
- Built-in Range Analyzer - The Bluetooth and Wi-Fi functionality together with the new CARP range analyzer make it possible to connect your mobile phone or notepad to the FLARM for setup before the flight, and range analysis "at the glider" immediately after the flight.
- SMC GPS Connector - The PowerFLARM Fusion uses a more robust SMC connector for the GPS antenna cable connection. PowerFLARM Core units used a somewhat fragile MCX connector for the GPS antenna cable connection.
- New Diagnostic LEDs - 4 new "Status", "GPS", "Transmit", and "Receive" multi-color (green/red/yellow/off) LEDs on the side of the PowerFLARM Fusion help with setup and diagnostics. They are not accessible remotely. The PowerFLARM Core had a single multi-color diagnostic LED.
The PowerFLARM Fusion is a "black box" FLARM unit with remote antennas, but without any remote display or control knob. It transmits and receives FLARM traffic data and also receives and displays ADS-B and Mode C/S transponder traffic. It also features a built-in IGC Approved GPS flight recorder.
Since the main unit does not have any type of display or user-interface, a dedicated remote FLARM display, or a PDA running soaring flight software, or soaring flight computer with FLARM display capability is required.
- FLARM functionality – sending out your position and vector and receiving vectors from gliders in range
- ADS-B Traffic Reception – ADS-B traffic position and relative altitude are displayed on the PowerFLARM display.
- Mode S Transponders – Nearby Mode S transponders are displayed on the PowerFLARM display. Since direction is not known, the traffic is displayed as a ring around the glider.
- Mode C Transponders – Nearby Mode C transponders are displayed on the PowerFLARM display. Since direction is not known, the traffic is displayed as a ring around the glider.
- IGC Approved GPS Flight Recorder
- Logger Calibration - The PowerFLARM Fusion is delivered without a logger altimeter calibration data sheet. I can calibrate it before shipment for $95. You can select the optional calibration at check-out..
- Cable-PFLARM-Pwr-DB9m-2, Cable with DB-9m connector to for connection to a PowerFLARM Fusion's DB-9f port, 12V power leads are provided for powering the PowerFLARM Fusion and connected accessories with 12V.
- Cable-PFLARM-Pwr-DB9m-RJ45-0p3 Cable for connecting both 12V power and a remote device to the PowerFLARM Fusion's DB-9 port. An RJ-Coupler-RJ45-RJ45 is usually required and not included. It can be used to connect a remote FLARM display.
Dimensions (not including mounting tabs): 80 x 119 x 42 mm (3.15 x 4.7 x 1.65 inches)
Weight of Fusion unit only: 9 ounces (250 grams)
Weight of Fusion and 3 antennas: 13.5 ounces (383 grams)
Weight of Fusion and 3 antennas and DB-9 power cable and USB extension cable: 1 pound, 1.3 ounces (490 grams)
Sensors and GPS:
- latest technology pressure sensor
- integrated 50-Channel GPS receiver
- ENL Engine Noise-Level sensor for motor-gliders
- PowerFLARM Fusion unit
- FLARM-Ant-ADSB-Dipole-SMA - ADS-B antenna
- 2 x FLARM-Ant-FLARM-Dipole-SMARP-US - FLARM Antennas
- FLARM-Ant-GPS-SMC - GPS Antenna - with SMC Connector
- Cable-USB-Panel-Cap - Panel-mountable USB cable extension cable with protective cap
- DB-9 cable (for providing 12V power)
- Printed PowerFLARM Fusion Installation Manual and User and Maintenance Manual
- Printed PowerFLARM Tips document
See the FLARM company page for links to manuals, tips documents and other resources.
PowerFLARM Fusion Brochure - English
- PowerFLARM Tips - by Paul Remde of Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
- Firmware Upgrades and Release Notes
- PowerFLARM Antenna Mounting Tips Application Note
- PowerFLARM Configuration File Generation Tools - Excellent!
- FLARM Range Analysis Tool
This is a great resource. It allows you to upload a flight log that was recorded with any FLARM unit. The tool creates a top-view range analysis plot showing the maximum distance to FLARM targets in all directions. The flight log contains data location of other FLARM units received during the flight. Flights to be analyzed must have at least a duration of 30 minutes and contact with 5+ other FLARM equipped aircraft during the flight. Only FLARM traffic data is analyzed. ADS-B and Mode C/S transponder traffic is not analyzed.
- Resources for Finding Your Sailplane's Mode S Address - to be entered in the PowerFLARM
- Brands FLARM
- Product Code: FLARM-PowerFLARM-Fusion
- Availability: In Stock