TRIPLTEK 8 Pro
Great for Soaring Pilots
The TRIPLTEK 8 inch Pro is an extremely rugged, extremely bright, Android tablet that works great with soaring software - like SeeYou Navigator, the SeeYou.Cloud, XCSoar, SkySight, etc. It is great for use planning flights on the ground in the SeeYou.Cloud or SkySight, reviewing past flights in the SeeYou.Cloud, or for use in-flight in a sailplane with SeeYou Navigator or XCSoar. It's large 8 inch display offers 1200 nits of brightness - making it easy to read in bright sunlight. It has a large built-in battery that allows for 10+ hours of use with the backlight on full-brightness.
Please Buy Your TRIPLTEK from Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
I've put a lot of time into testing the TRIPLTEK Pro 8 with soaring instruments and soaring flight software. You could buy it elsewhere for the same price - please buy from me. I can load the soaring software for you and select your glider's polar, enter your name and the glider's ID, etc. I can also load soaring site waypoint files and make sure it is ready to fly.
Comparison with Naviter Oudie N
I think most glider pilots will prefer the Naviter Oudie N because it may be the perfect size. The TRIPLTEK 8 Pro may be too large for many glider cockpits at 5.20 x 8.66 x 0.63 Inches (132 x 220 x 16 mm). I imagine I'll sell 10 times as many Oudie N units as TRIPLTEK units for that reason alone. However, the large screen on the TRIPLTEK 8 Pro allows the display of many more NavBoxes (5 columns instead of 4) at the bottom of the screen (with large in-flight readable fonts) when compared with my Oudie N or iPhone 13 Pro Max. The TRIPLTEK is also quite heavy at 1.44 pounds (655 g). I think the TRIPLTEK 8 Pro is definitely too heavy to use with a suction cup mount on a glider canopy. The Oudie N works great with the included suction cup mount. The Oudie N will eventually be available with an IGC approved flight recorder built-in. The TRIPLTEK 8 Pro with SeeYou Navigator can log flights in the IGC file format, but it won't ever be able to log an IGC approved flight log for use for badge and record flights. The Oudie N has a very nice built-in pressure sensor for use as a vario (not Total Energy compensate) and altimeter. The TRIPLTEK 8 Pro does not have a built-in pressure sensor. I have found that the AGL altitude displayed in the Oudie N is always near zero when sitting on the ground because the software automatically adjusts the pressure altimeter offset. The SeeYou Navigator software running on the TRIPLTEK 8 Pro often shows +/- up to 200 feet in the AGL navbox when sitting on the ground because the software doesn't adjust the offset of the GPS altitude - which I think is the right way to go. That means you need to add 200 feet to your safety altitude - which is easy to do. There are no current software differences between the version of SeeYou Navigator used in the Oudie N and the versions that run on iPhones and Android devices like the TRIPLTEK 8 Pro. To best use either the Oudie N or the TRIPLTEK 8 Pro, I very highly recommend a Bluetooth connection to a soaring variometer - so the vario can send airspeed and Total Energy compensated vario data to the device. The airspeed data makes wind calculations more accurate - especially when flying on a ridge or in wave. The TE compensated vario data helps the Thermal Assistant help you center thermals better that it would otherwise. If the variometer also has a FLARM or LXNAV Nano connected, then the TRIPLTEK 8 Pro is equally awesome to the extremely wonderful Naviter Oudie N. One other very nice advantage to the TRIPLTEK 8 Pro is that it can be used for other things - like watching Netflix or YouTube or playing with Google Earth or Facebook or playing games, etc. I use my TRIPLTEK 8 Pro to watch TV and Movies while using my exercise treadmill. The Oudie N can't do that. ...Did I mention that the TRIPLTEK 8 Pro is huge? (It's larger than an LXNAV LX9070.) If you're certain the TRIPLTEK 8 Pro will fit in your glider - I'm sure you'll love it.
Printable Scale Mock-Up
The TRIPLTEK 8 Pro is somewhat large. I think it will fit well in many sailplanes, but want you to know what you're getting in advance. It is difficult to judge the size when looking at photos on a website - even with the comparison photos. I created the PDF file below so you could print a scale model to bring to your glider - or just hold in your hands. When you print it - make sure the printing app is setup to not "fit" or "shrink" or "fit to page". Most print dialogs give the option to use a "Custom Scale" - so you can print it and adjust the scale as needed to get the size to match the actual unit's dimensions. It should be: 5.20 x 8.66 Inches (132 x 220 mm).
Works Great In-Flight with Popular Soaring Instruments
It has a built-in GPS for use as a stand-alone soaring flight computer with navigation and final glide functionality. The soaring flight software can calculate wind speed and direction while circling. The TRIPLTEK 8 Pro can receive flight data over Bluetooth from a connected LXNAV S7, S8, S80, LX80x0 or LX90x0 with an optional Bluetooth Module, or from an LXNAV S10 or S100 variometer - which have Bluetooth built-in. Receiving airspeed data from a connected variometer or soaring flight computer allows the soaring software to more accurately calculate the wind while flying on a ridge or in wave, and receiving Total Energy compensated vario data from a connected vario allows the soaring flight software's Thermal Assistant to help you optimize your thermal centering.
Internet Connection Options
The TRIPLTEK 8 Pro has built-in Wi-Fi for connection to the internet through your home or airport or soaring club's Wi-Fi, or you can use your phone's Wi-Fi Mobile Hotspot feature. Alternatively, you can have your mobile service provider enable an internet data connection using a SIM card - for an internet connection anywhere there is mobile phone service. Access to the internet allows the soaring software to display soaring weather data as you fly - such as wave, convergence and cross-country speed maps, along with rain radar maps, and wind forecast maps. A SkySight or TopMeteo soaring weather subscription is required for some of those features.
Soaring flight software like SeeYou Navigator can record your flight into an IGC flight log file for later replay and analysis. The TRIPLTEK is NOT an IGC approved flight recorder, so flight logs recorded by it can't be use for badges and records.
SeeYou Navigator - iPhone vs. TRIPLTEK 8 Pro
SeeYou Navigator is the future of soaring flight software. It runs on any iPhone, iPad, or Android device. It runs great on my iPhoneX. However, my iPhoneX dims the screen and eventually shuts-down when it gets hot in the sun - making it unusable for use in a sailplane. Also, the battery doesn't last all day with the screen on full brightness and connection to an external battery in direct sunlight makes the iPhone overheat and shut-down. The TRIPLTEK 8 Pro solves the brightness, overheating and battery issues very nicely (so does the Oudie N).
Designed for Drone Pilots
The TRIPLTEK 8 inch Pro was designed for use as a display for drone pilots. You can find many positive reviews of the product on YouTube by drone reviewers.
In addition to using it for soaring and drone operations, you can also use it as a tablet for viewing YouTube and Netflix, browsing websites, sending emails, etc. It even has built-in cameras (front and back) and microphone and speaker - so it could be used as a very large mobile phone.
TRIPLTEK Ultra Bright 1200 nits Display
The Ultra High Resolution 8 inches Display of 1200 cd/m² Sustained brightness makes the TRIPLTEK the brightest tablet/smartphone on the market, more than three times as bright as a typical mobile device. Operate your display under direct sunlight and all-weather thanks to the glove touch and wet touch features.
Protected Against the Elements
Built using an aero-grade polyurethane and aluminum alloy. The TRIPLTEK is protected from accidental drops and is able to support up to a ton of pressure, it is also dust and water-resistant IP-68 and can withstand extreme temperature ranges ranging from 0°F to 120°F.
Sleek Design with Uncompromised Durability
Ergonomic Design to fit in the palm of your hand. The sleek design of 0.6 inches wide, makes the TRIPLTEK 8-inch surprisingly thin despite its durability. Equipped with a Powerful Octa-Core CPU with 3D Ready GPU for enhanced graphics processing.
Always Connected 4G LTE, GPS, WIFI, NFC
4G LTE Smartphone, WIFI Dual-brand (2.4GHz/5Ghz), Connect to your devices and stay linked with a steady transfer. Get accurate and real-time positioning information on the move. And use Google Pay thanks to the NFC connectivity.
Fast, Reliable and Long Lasting Battery Life
Equipped with extended use in mind. Keep your device fully operational through a battery that holds its charge for up to 30 days on standby. Get back to work faster via fast-charging technology. Runs for 10+ hours with the backlight at full-brightness.
Compatible with All Drones
Best in class drone companion. Built to work as a drone operating device, with compatibility in mind. Operates all commercially available drones.
Tested with Popular Soaring Software Products
- SeeYou Navigator - in-flight soaring software
- SeeYou.Cloud - for pre-flight planning and post-flight flight analysis and flight sharing
- SkySight - Pre-flight and in-flight weather forecasts (internet connection required)
- TopMeteo - Pre-flight and in-flight weather forecasts (internet connection required)
- XCSoar - in-flight soaring software
- WeGlide.org - Online flight sharing and competition
- OLC (Online Contest) - Online flight sharing and competition
- 8-inch(diagonal) LED backlit
- 1200 nits Sustained Brightness
- 2560 x 1600 pixel resolution
- Fully laminated display
- Glove-Touch and Wet touch
- Antireflective UV coating
- Oleophobic coating, fingerprint resistant
- Shiny glass screen for crystal-clear display, with included attachable anti-glare screen protector for reduced reflections (recommended for use in flight)
- 12,200 mAh battery
- 10+ hours of in-flight or on the ground operation with the backlight on full-brightness
- Holds its charge for up to 30 days on standby
- USB-C connector for connection to a charger or computer
- Operating System
- Android 10 Google Certified
- 8 GB RAM
- 256GB Internal Storage
- Media slot up to 1TB microSD card
- Octa-Core 64 bits CPU 2.0 (10% faster than TRIPLTEK 7 PRO Model)
- 3D Ready GPU (35% faster than TRIPLTEK 7 PRO Model)
- Cellular and Wireless
- 4G LTE Unlocked
- WIFI Dual band (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz)
- Cast to Wireless Display
- Data and voice capable. Earpiece integrated
- FDD-LTE B 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/17/20
- TD-LTE B 38/39/40/41
- Bluetooth 4.2
- Nano SIM card
- GPS +, Glonass, BeiDou
- Digital Compass
- Environmental Protections
- Waterproof IP68 closed flaps
- Dustproof IP68 closed flaps
- Dropproof /IK: 4 feet drop
- Shake-proof : 1-19Hz/1.0mm; 19-200Hz/1.0g
- Operating temperature: 0°F to 120°F
- Storage Temperature: -20°F to 170°F
- Certification: Military Standard 810G
- 21 Megapixel 27mm equivalent focal length
- 8 Megapixel Front camera
- Stereo Speakers
- Direction Sensor
- Gravity sensor
- Magnetic Field Sensor
- Motion sensor
- Rotation Vector
- Light sensor
- Acceleration sensor
- English, Spanish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Italian, German, Japanese, Dutch, French, Polish, Romanian, Turkish, Russian, Arabic, Indonesian, Malay, Thai, Vietnamese, Hindi, Hebrew, etc.
- Size & Weight
- Size: 5.20 x 8.66 x 0.63 Inches (132 x 220 x 16 mm)
- Weight: 1.44 pounds (655 grams)
- Construction: Thermoplastic polyurethane injection and aluminum
- TRIPLTEK 8 Pro unit
- Anti-Glare Screen Protector (not attached, good for making the screen less mirror-like, recommended in use in-flight)
- 5V USB wall charger with USB A rectangular port
- USB A to USB C charging cable
- Flash Adapter - USB C male to USB A female - for connecting a USB Flash Drive to the TRIPLTEK's USB C port
- Strap for hand-holding, with metal mounting brackets and screws
- Printed manual (very small) - Printable PDF manual available here: TRIPLTEK 8 Pro Manual
- Lanyard for drone controller
- SIM Card Tool
Recommended Mounting Options
- TRIPLTEK-8-Back-Plate - Simple, small, rugged, perfect for mounting a RAM-B-237U ball to the back of your TRIPLTEK 8 Pro
- RAM-HOL-TAB12U - for on-panel mounting or off-panel mounting with a RAM arm (see arm and base options on the RAM-HOL-TAB12U product page.
- RAM-HOL-UN8BU - for RAM arm mounting - not as easy to use and not as secure as the RAM-HOL-TAB12U above, but also works with many iPads and other tablets.
- NavPad - The TRIPLTEK 8 Pro may be too large for use on a kneeboard - but it might work in some sailplanes.
- TRIPLTEK 8 Pro Manual
- TRIPLTEK-8-Pro-Scale-132x220mm.pdf - Tip: Set the scale in print dialog and verify the size after printing. It should be 220 mm (8.66 tall).
TRIPLTEK 8 Pro
- Brands TRIPLTEK
- Product Code: TRIPLTEK 8 Pro
- Availability: In Stock