Author: Federal Aviation Administration (F.A.A.) and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
Revised in 2016
Paperback, 232 pages
Dimensions: 8 x 10.125 x 0.47 inches (203 x 257 x 12 mm)
All pilots must learn to deal with weather: to appreciate good weather, to recognize and respect marginal or hazardous weather, and to avoid violent weather. Recognition of this and sound weather decisions are critical to the successful outcome of all flights. This book discusses each aspect of weather as it relates to aircraft operation and flight safety.
The information in Aviation Weather is applicable to students, instructors, and experienced pilots alike. It is a comprehensive resource for what you need to know about weather in order to fly safely in both visual (VMC) and instrument (IMC) meteorological conditions. Subjects covered include the earth’s atmosphere, temperatures, atmospheric pressure and altimetry, wind, moisture, precipitation, clouds, air masses and fronts, turbulence, icing, thunderstorms, common IFR producers, high altitude weather, arctic and tropical weather, and soaring weather. Illustrations throughout; also includes a glossary and index.
This book is also available as a free download on the F.A.A. web site. A link to the PDF files is below. However, it would probably cost more to print it at home than the price of the book. You can see the table of contents and every page of the book using the link below. Take it for a test flight before you buy.
Chapter 16 gives a good overview of soaring weather, the pseudo-adiabatic chart, and calculating a Thermal Index.
- Chapter 1 - The Earth's Atmosphere
- Chapter 2 - Temperature
- Chapter 3 - Atmospheric Pressure and Altimetry
- Chapter 4 - Wind
- Chapter 5 - Moisture, Cloud Formation, and Precipitation
- Chapter 6 - Stable and Unstable Air
- Chapter 7 - Clouds
- Chapter 8 - Air Masses and Fronts
- Chapter 9 - Turbulence
- Chapter 10 - Icing
- Chapter 11 - Thunderstorms
- Chapter 12 - Common IFR Producers
- Chapter 13 - High Altitude Weather
- Chapter 14 - Arctic Weather
- Chapter 15 - Tropical Weather
- Chapter 16 - Soaring Weather
- Glossary of Weather Terms
- Brands books
- Product Code: Aviation Weather
- Availability: In Stock