Note: The 2 images above show the FLARM and ADS-B connector polarities incorrectly. The 2 FLARM ports should have a pin (reverse polarity) and the ADS-B port should not have a pin (standard polarity)
The PowerFLARM Core is a "black box" FLARM unit with remote antennas, but without any remote display or control knob. It transmits and receives FLARM traffic data and also receives and displays ADS-B and Mode C/S transponder traffic. It also features a built-in IGC Approved GPS flight recorder.
Since the main unit does not have any type of display or user-interface, a dedicated remote FLARM display, or a PDA running soaring flight software, or soaring flight computer with FLARM display capability is required. While the display of FLARM traffic data on a PDA is very nice and useful, it is not as simple, clear, urgent or reliable as a dedicated FLARM display. Therefore a dedicated FLARM display of some kind is highly recommended.
The PowerFLARM Core does not include provisions for internal batteries so it must be powered externally.
Due to the need for an external display, the PowerFLARM Core has an additional data output port (when compared with the PowerFLARM Portable). Since the "black box" is normally mounted out of reach, the PowerFLARM Core includes a panel-mountable USB port - to be used with a USB Flash Drive. Several display options are available.
- FLARM functionality – sending out your position and vector and receiving vectors from gliders in range
- ADS-B Traffic Reception – ADS-B traffic position and relative altitude are displayed on the PowerFLARM display.
- Mode S Transponders – Nearby Mode S transponders are displayed on the PowerFLARM display. Since direction is not known, the traffic is displayed as a ring around the glider.
- Mode C Transponders – Nearby Mode C transponders are displayed on the PowerFLARM display. Since direction is not known, the traffic is displayed as a ring around the glider.
- IGC Approved GPS Flight Recorder
- Logger Calibration - The PowerFLARM Portable is delivered without a logger altimeter calibration data sheet. I can calibrate it before shipment for $75 ($95 normally). You can select the optional calibration at check-out..
- Engine Noise Level (ENL) Recording Enable, for motorgliders, $170
- 2nd FLARM Antenna Port Enable $155
- Audio Output Enable- The built-in audio output port for sending FLARM alarms (beeps only) to an aviation headset can be enabled for $120. (Note: This option is not usually necessary In sailplanes because FLARM alarms are heard through the speaker in the remote FLARM display.)
(Core and Core Pure h/w 1.1+, SN: 2000+)
- Garmin TIS Interface Enable - This can be enabled for $95.
- Cable-PFLARM-Pwr-DB9m-2, Cable with DB-9m connector to for connection to a PowerFLARM Core's DB-9f port, 12V power leads are also provided for powering the PowerFLARM Core and connected accessories with 12V.
- Cable-PFLARM-Pwr-DB9m-RJ45-0p3 Cable for connecting both 12V power and a remote device to the PowerFLARM Core's DB-9 port. An RJ-Coupler-RJ45-RJ45 is usually required and not included. This cable works great for connection to an SN10 which had previously been connected to a Volkslogger's RJ45 port. It can also be used to connect a remote FLARM display.
- Cable-PFLARM-Pwr-DB9m-S7-0p5, Cable, PowerFLARM DB-9 port to 12V power leads and RJ12 6-pin connector for LXNAV S7, S8 or S80 GPS port, or LX Navigation EOS or Zeus FLARM port. 12V power leads are also provided for powering the PowerFLARM Core with 12V. This cable does not pass 12V power from the S7, S8 or S80 to the PowerFLARM Core.
Dimensions (not including mounting tabs): 79.5 x 119.5 x 41 mm (3.13 x 4.70 x 1.61 inches)
Weight of Core unit only: 9.8 ounces (278 grams)
Weight of Core and 3 antennas: 13.5 ounces (383 grams)
Weight of Core and 3 antennas and DB-9 power cable and USB extension cable: 1 pound, 1.3 ounces (490 grams)
Sensors and GPS:
- latest technology pressure sensor
- integrated 50-Channel GPS receiver
- optional ENL Engine Noise-Level sensor for motor-gliders
- PowerFLARM Core unit
- PFLARM-Ant-ADS-B-Dipole- ADS-B antenna
- PFLARM-Ant-FLARM-Dipole-RP- FLARM Antenna
- PowerFLARM-GPS-Antenna - GPS Antenna
- USB-Cable-Panel-1m - Panel-mountable USB cable extension cable
- DB-9 cable (for providing 12V power)
Compatible Remote FLARM Displays
- LXNAV FlarmLED - $95, Total Price with Core: $1694
- LXNAV FlarmView - $240 - Total Price with Core: $1839 (most popular)
- LXNAV FlarmView2 with waypoints, airspace, and task navigation, $360, Total price with Core: $1959
- LXNAV FlarmView57 - $300 - Total price with Core: $1899
- LXNAV Nano3 IGC approved GPS flight recorder with waypoints, airspace, task navigation, and FLARM display, $590, Total price with Core and LXNAV-NanoPower-PF-MiniUSB cable, $2289
- LXNAV Nano4 IGC approved GPS flight recorder with waypoints, airspace, task navigation, and FLARM display, $710, Total price with Core and LXNAV-NanoPower-PF-MicroUSB cable, $2379
- AIR Avionics - AIR Traffic Display - ATD-57 - $575- Total price with Core: $2174
- PowerFLARM Tips - by Paul Remde of Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
- Firmware Upgrades and Release Notes
- Manuals - http://flarm.com/support/manuals-documents/
- PowerFLARM Antenna Mounting Tips Application Note
- PowerFLARM Configuration File Generation Tools
- FLARM Range Analysis Tool
- Resources for Finding Your Sailplane's Mode S Address - to be entered in the PowerFLARM
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Inquiry.aspx or http://www.airframes.org/
- Brands FLARM
- Product Code: PowerFLARM-Core
- Availability: In Stock